Saturday 31 December 2011

Archiving & storing glass plates

I found this quiet holiday period being a good time for organising a way of storing my plates, (finally !).
So far I was keeping  some of them in empty sheet film boxes, lying flat one on another, divided with sheet of paper, some in boxes with racks, (which where actually constructed for transporting plates taken on location), or everywhere around in my studio (getting dusty) . Generally - a little mess, but the main problem is the fact that this type of storage capabilities actually ended. 
So I decided to orgainise it a little bit and
1.  I'm wrapping glass plates with an acid free thin paper,



2.   putting them in separate, standard, envelops,



3.  labeling with information like: type of glass, title/subject, type of varnish, year, camera and lens, portrait/landscape/still life,
4.  then packing them vertically and tightly into boxes with lids :



Looks like it should work, at least until I'll have a room full of boxes, and looks like I'm starting a New Year kind of organised ;)
Happy New Year everyone!!!


5 comments:

  1. I'll need to do something like that with my negs.
    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... I already had a lot of respect for your wet plate- skills. But now for your organising- talent, too. Thank you very much for sharing so much info about your work. And for sharing the lovely works, too, of course!
    Happy new year to you, too!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Nadja for your kind words, have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tip! I only started glass plate photography and I already have a storage problem. THis is great solution. THX, B5

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers Borut, love your works!

    ReplyDelete