Thursday, 18 November 2010
Sunday, 7 November 2010
Saturday, 6 November 2010
Negative image on clear glass plate (scanned as negative). Needs even longer exposures than positive image (ambrotype). Good negative can be used for printing on paper. The top right hand side effects are the result of uneven pouring of the developer and the side marks are where my figers (in too big gloves)touched the plate.
First shot, first pouring of collodion and developing, indoor shot with studio lighting, black plexiglass.
The black dots are the result of storing for traveling two plates face to face. The other plate (Shed) was covered with the dust being remains of (most possibly) fixer and it left spots on Tom. All my plates are not varnished yet, so very delicate...
This was a final shot and the only one that came out for me this day, after many trials. Light was very changeble - sun and clouds. Everyone was running here and there checking the exposure time. What worked by chance for someone in one moment didn't work for somebody else in next minute. But I was determinated and got the image. Collodion has very low light sensitivity, range of 1-3 ASA, so it is impossible to measure the exposure, it's just a good guess.This one was ca 3 seconds, f8. Black plexiglass ambrotype.
Friday, 5 November 2010
Results to follow in next posts.
Thursday, 4 November 2010
oryginal 35mm neg printed on DTF, print size ca 19x14cm, water colour paper, 10 min, sun.
Submitted for Alternative Photography Calendar Competition 2011, (maybe a bit too early for competitions, as I've just started my cyanotypes experiments, but why not to try, it's a good fun:)
After few unsuccesfull tries I had to admit that color negatives are useless for cyanotype printing, too dense. Specific photos like this one (with a very subtle contrast) is also dificult to print succesfuly...Still not good paper - Winsor & Newton Bristol Board, I found at home, giving some yellowish tint in a few places. 20 min exposure, print size ca 16x12cm, DTF (Digital Transfer Film) after changing the colour ORYGINAL into B&W
My first cyanotype made by negative contact print (not counting a few plant photograms), that turned out quite ok. I wasn't satisfied enough with the results with medium format negatives, I got before, mostly because of tiny size. This time I used Digital Transfer Film to print an increased copy of neg, so I can see clearly how the process works :). But need to buy a proper paper, I was so excited with the chemicals I got, that forgot about the paper, but couldn't wait so I used what I found at home.ca 20min exposure, sunny irish late afternoon.